The Fox Valley Genealogical Society is an incorporated, not-for-profit organization founded in 1981 in Naperville, DuPage County, Illinois. Our bylaws are available (pdf) Bylaws. The purpose of the Society is:
- To bring together persons who are researching in family history and to promote cooperation among them,
- To educate others in methods and practices in genealogical research,
- To inform people of the value of and the need for preserving family and local history for posterity,
- To collect and preserve genealogical and historical data by publishing genealogical materials and articles,
- To receive, hold, and invest monies, dues, gifts, sales, interest, etc., and to hold and administer property for the benefit of the Society and for its educational purpose.
Current on-going activities of the Society include:
- Conducting genealogy classes, both beginning and intermediate,
- Sponsoring genealogy trips to libraries,
- Research and correspondence in response to genealogical queries,
- Morning Writing Group (MWG) meetings monthly,
- Evening Writing Group (EWG) meetings monthly,
- Scholarly Writing Group (SWG) meetings monthly,
- Sponsorship of an annual, educational workshop,
- Publication of Cemetery Readings,
Current on-going special projects of the Society are:
- West Aurora Cemtery Reading,
- Wheatland Township Cemetery Reading,
- Scotch Presbyterian Cemetery Reading,
- Zion Lutheran Cemetery Reading,
- Transcription/Index to Aurora, IL Masonic Temple Records.
The FVGS holds 9 monthly general meetings on the 2nd Thursday, September through June (except December) at 7:30 PM in the Naperville Municipal Center, 400 South Eagle, Naperville, Illinois which provides lower-level inside parking. Copies of our quarterly journal, Fox Tales, which was published for 34 years are viewable by members. In addition, members receive an electronic newsletter, Fox Trails, monthly.
FVGS extends a cordial welcome to newcomers to come visit our meetings and consider joining our Society. New exciting contacts may be made and new important information obtained during the informal socializing after the general meetings. Come meet new friends!